Whistleblowing and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
Whistleblowing and Sarbanes-Oxley
Use the Internet to research instances of whistleblowing in publicly traded companies within the last 12 months.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Describe the key characteristics of a whistleblower, and briefly summarize one (1) researched instance of whistleblowing in one (1) publicly traded U.S. company within the last 12 months. Include the details of the issue that the whistleblower reported and the effect of the whistleblower’s actions on both the whistleblower himself and the company.
- Decide whether or not the whistleblower was justified in reporting the company’s actions. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Examine the extent to which the whistleblower would be protected under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference and proprietary websites do not qualify as academic resources. One reference must be: Prentice, R. A., &Bredeson, D. (2010). Student Guide to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (2nd ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine the underlying causes for passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and determine protections afforded to whistleblowers.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
- Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.
Report an abuse for product Whistleblowing and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act