Marked 97% by the Tutor. Download this Paper now for $18 only.
- Video Business Case Report (20%) [Individual]
This assignment challenges students to formulate a professional response to in-depth issues contained in a real life Video Business Case. The Video Business Interview and Case to be critiqued will be announced by Seminar 03 and will be available under Blackboard > Assessments > 2) Video Business Case Report (20%). Students are encouraged to review the Background video segments for the Video Business Case selected for analysis.
Students will act as an independent professional business consultant reporting to senior managers of the company concerned. Students are expected to provide informed and robust advice to this business client. A sophisticated understanding of the critical aspects of this Video Business Case needs to be demonstrated. A succinct and high impact report is expected.
The report is expected to be <2,000 words, including an Executive Summary (<300 words) but excluding References. Introduction, table of contents and appendices are not required and will not be marked. Students need to display their correct name (underline Lastname), Curtin University ID number, Industry ID, tutor’s name, tutorial day, time and the total word count on the top right side of the cover page of the assignment submitted. Assignments exceeding the 2,000 word limit will be penalised 10% of the total mark for every 100 words over length.
To support assertions made about the case being critiqued refer to the Required Readings provided in the Unit Outline Program Calendar. Students are strongly advised to refer to a minimum of five relevant and credible sources. Extension Reading information is provided in Blackboard. In particular, refer to the Hosie, Forsyth and Baird (2016) paper on Researching and Writing a Video Business Case Report (Blackboard > Assessments > 2) Video Business Case Report (20%)).
Assignments should address the Video Business Case Report Assessment Rubric provided in Blackboard > Assessments > 2) Video Business Case Report (20%). Students are strongly advised to read the relevant Assessment Rubric closely before undertaking this assignment.
Suggested headings for Video Business Case Report Executive Summary (<300 words required)
For guidance on how to write an effective Executive Summary and develop Decision Criteria refer to Blackboard > Assessments > 2) Video Business Case Report (20%).
- A) Issues
Provide a brief introduction that summarises the main issues of the case.
- B) Causes
Identify the importance of the Causes to the organisation concerned.
- C) Alternatives
Develop a set of realistic Alternatives to address the Issues and Causes identified.
- D) Decision Criteria
Develop a set of Decision Criteria to choose from the Alternative courses of action.
Curtin Business School (CBS) School of Marketing
￼￼E) Recommended Solution/s
Decide on Solution/s to the Issues derived from the Alternatives. For each competing Alternative, justify why different Solution/s were chosen or rejected. A preferred Solution/s needs to be indicated.
- F) Implementation and Implications
Provide realistic suggestions on how these Solution/s could be implemented in the organisation concerned within the industry context being scrutinised. Include the managerial and financial implications for adopting the preferred Solution/s.
An electronic copy of the assignment needs be submitted by the end of the week of Seminar 09 in Blackboard, as an attachment, via the Turnitin link in Assessments > Video Business Case Report. Assignments may be resubmitted once to Turnitin to overwrite the initial ‘Originality Report’ to modify the ‘Similarity Index’ until the due date for submission.
An excessive Similarity Index score may indicate a breach of Curtin University Plagiarism Policy and Procedures. Failure to submit an assignment to Turnitin will result in marks for this assignment being withheld or the assessment failed. Turnitin’s electronic closing date may not be the due date.
Refer to Blackboard under the Assessment tab for more detail on this assignment.
Video Business Case Report hints and tips
inline elements cannot be listed directly in a form. (it’s invalid html)
remember whether this list is paged begin edit paging (top) end top paging edit Begin top list actionbar /paging area
- Do not waste the word count on an Introduction or Conclusion.
- An Executive Summary must be placed after the cover page, but before the Issue (and table of contents if you choose to have one). It should summarise the entire report, and be written last.
- The Issue(s) and the Cause(s) are given in the Video Business Interview segments. It is suggested you also research around the Issue(s) and/or Cause(s).
- The number of Issues you provide (1 or more) is the number of problems you must solve. Only having one Issue is fine.
- It is suggested 3 or 4 good, realistic Alternatives are provided. 5 is possible, but it may reduce your word count too much.
- Decision Criteria can be given in a table format – refer to Tillman and Cassone (2012) for some examples.
- Ethical considerations should be built into the report; They are usually most suitable in the Decision Criteria, Solution and Implementation and Implications.
- Ethical considerations are not a question of a simple right or wrong. A thorough ethical consideration will state an issue for which there is no right or wrong answer and therefore represents a dilemma to a course of action.
- Appendices are meant to be ‘extra’ information that does not have to be read to understand the report; Any critical information necessary to understand the report shouldn’t be in the Appendices. Appendices will not earn marks.
- Through your research you may find that the Issue has occurred in the past, and the company has a solution – This does not matter in the context of the VBCR, as you are writing as if the Issue is happening now.
Remember, you are a consultant working for the company – If you suggest they hire a consultant/mediator to solve the Issue, it will look rather strange one consultant suggesting they need to hire another consultant!