ASSIGNMENT 1: TRANSPORT CONCEPTS AND DEFINITIONS
Overall Assignment Aim:
In this assignment, you are required to provide definitions to key transport planning concepts and terms, and
demonstrate their application. The aim of this assignment is to develop your knowledge of transport planning concepts and terms in order to provide you with confidence to solve transport planning problems.
ISSUE DATE: 1 August, 2018
REVISED DUE DATE: 24 August (via Learnonline)
EQUIVALENT ASSIGNMENT LENGTH: 1000 words (text and figures/graphs/tables may supplement your text)
ASSIGNMENT WEIGHTING: 20% (Each question is of equal value)
ASSIGNMENT SUBMISSION: WORD document format, uploaded via the Assignment submission portal for the Learnonline Course website.
The objectives of this assignment are to:
- demonstrate knowledge and an understanding of important definitions, terms and concepts that are
used in transport planning;
- be able to demonstrate the application of terms and concepts in transport and planning to solve or
analyse particular transport planning problems; and
- draw on relevant literature in the field of transport and planning to correctly identify transport
definitions, terms and concepts.
NB: References are required to appropriately acknowledge the source/s of your answers. This assignment must be done individually. All assignment submissions are automatically checked for academic integrity using Turnitin software.
Please answer all questions.
- Define the concept of trip generation, and discuss why it is important in transport modelling.
- Define the terms ‘trip origin’ and ‘trip destination’ in terms of how that are used to define the concept of a trip. Why is it important in transport modelling to characterize trips in terms of their origins and destinations?
- Define and discuss the importance of the concept of modal choice in modelling trip activities.
- What is ‘route assignment’, and why is it important in modelling a transport network?
- Why is analyzing the ‘trip-rate’ important for different types of land uses?
- Why is it important to analyze peak trip flows in a transport network when modelling the demand for travel?
- Select one travel mode, and rate its environmental, economic, social, health and safety advantages as high, medium or low, briefly providing key evidence to support each of your claims.
- Why is travel behaviour important to analyze when investigating trip flows in a transport network? Discuss the characteristics of travel behaviour that would be of interest in undertaking an analysis of trip flows.
- Define the concept ‘autonomous vehicles’ (AVs), and discuss the key urban transport implications for urban travel if AVs were to replace conventional motor vehicles.
- The concept ‘Level of Service’ is used to assess the performance of transport networks (typically involving either motor vehicle traffic, pedestrians or cyclists). Discuss how this concept affects the capacity of a transport network and why it is an important transport planning consideration.