- Attention Getter: In the late 18th century, a religious community known as the Shakers was established in New Lebanon, New York.
- Reason to Listen: The group was known for its outstanding wood architecture, design and handcrafts from which we have much to learn.
- Thesis Statement: The Shakers’ wood craftsmanship remains one of the most admired and celebrated woodwork throughout history and a fascination to anyone who reads or listens about it today.
- Credibility statement :I have for a long time been interested in the culture of the Shakers, and I have read and researched widely about them, both from books and the Internet.
- Preview of Main Points: First, I will discuss the origin and beliefs of the Shakers. Secondly, I will examine the wood craftsmanship of the community, and lastly, I will look at the impact of the communities’ culture on the wider society.