SERVICE AND FACILITY QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IN THE HOTEL INDUSTRY
GRIFFITH BUSINESS SCHOOL
DEPARTMENT OF TOURISM, SPORT & HOTEL MANAGEMENT
2230HSL Interpreting Tourism Management Information Quantitative Report
Due: Friday 26th May 10.00am
ALL STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT THE QUANTITATIVE REPORT ONLINE USING THE
TURNITIN SUBMISSION POINTS ON LEARNING@GRIFFITH.
The owners of a large hotel are seeking to develop a better understanding of the importance of
services and facilities for guests. Hotel managers know that guests can be classified into two primary
groups: business and pleasure guests. In particular, the hotel managers want to develop understanding
(1) the demographic profile of guests
(2) the relative importance of each hotel service and facility
(3) whether the importance of hotel services and facilities for business and pleasure guests is
significantly different; and
(4) whether guests’ satisfaction is correlated with the number of nights stayed.
To complete the assignment you are required to:
– Write a brief literature review (300-500 words) in relation to the importance of hotel services and
facilities for guests that includes a minimum of six academic references. Following the review,
research questions are to be developed that frame the analysis that follows.
– Write a brief method section, which outlines the analysis procedures used and provides an outline of
– Present a demographic profile of guests in the form of a frequency table including each of the
demographic variables captured for business and pleasure guests.
– Present a table containing the means and standard deviation values for each of the services and
facilities, including guest satisfaction and number of nightly stays for business and pleasure guests, as
well as the whole sample.
– Conduct t-tests to examine whether there are any significant differences in importance of services
and facilities, between business and pleasure guests (this analysis should be included in the table with
– Conduct three correlations to examine the strength of the relationship between guest satisfaction and
number of nightly stays for the total sample, business guests, and pleasure guests. Correlations (r =)
should be presented in the text, not in a table.
Students will receive clear guidance on the completion of each stage of the analysis in tutorials
between weeks 8-12. Further details on this assignment can be obtained from the data file
(questionnaire, etc.) and the marking guidelines found the course’s learning@griffith site.
– Size 12, Times New Roman font with 1.5 line spacing.
– Remember an evaluation report is succinct and to the point. Make sure everything you write
is meaningful. Succinct writing is much better than taking many words to explain what you
mean. Spend effort in cleaning up your writing for basic grammar and referencing errors
before you submit.
The report should be of a professional evaluative style that would be easily understandable to the
The quantitative report should contain the following headings:
The Introduction should include a brief overview of the study and what quantitative research involves.
This could include a brief description of the following:
– What the purpose of the report is.
– What you have done, how you did it, and why you did it.
– Why the study is important.
A 300-500 word literature review exploring hotel business and pleasure guest ratings of importance of
services and facilities using a minimum of six academic references.
Students should also list their research questions, that emerge from the literature review
What was the research design? How was the data collected and analysed? Who was it collected from?
What was found (what came from the analysis)? A description/report including the tables (described
above) that will help explain results. The presentation of tables for the report will be covered in
computer lab sessions.
The conclusion should follow logically from the analysis, not just repeat the analysis but restate the
problem and apply research outcomes to the problem. Comparisons must be made between findings
from this study and those discussed in the literature review.
What might the hotel management do to improve hotel services and facilities based on the major
findings of this study.
e.g. "It is recommended that:
Report an abuse for product SERVICE AND FACILITY QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IN THE HOTEL INDUSTRY
Providing quality services and adequate facilities to customers in the hotel industry is a responsibility of the managers and hotel owners. As a result of increased competition in the hotel industry, managers and business owners need to come up with strategies on how to attract and retain customers by increasing their satisfaction levels (Eshetie, Seyoum & Ali 2016). In the hotel industry, guests can be divided into business and pleasure guests. In order to effectively satisfy customers, hotel managers need to understand the demographic profiles of guests and the importance of each hotel service and facility to the customers. This study aims at understanding the demographic profile of guests, the relative importance of each hotel service and facility, whether the importance of hotel services and facilities for business and pleasure guests issignificantly different, andwhether guests’ satisfaction is correlated with the number of nights stayed.