Responding to Ethical and Legal Issues in Professional Practice
The final unit integrates the information presented throughout the course as we consider our ongoing development as ethical and responsible counseling professionals. In this unit, we will consider steps for responding to ethical complaints and methods for addressing unprofessional behavior in colleagues.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Define strategies to strengthen professional identify as an ethical counselor.
2. Describe strategies to deal with situations that may involve unethical behavior from a counselor, based on current ACA ethical guidelines.
3. Analyze how the functions of human services professionals assist to resolve ethical and legal dilemmas found within diverse counseling settings.
Learning Activities Studies
Use your Ethical, Legal, and Professional Issues in Counseling text to complete the following:
• Read Chapter 16, “Resolving Legal and Ethical Issues,” pages 381–394.
Use the Library to read the following:
• Neukrug and Milliken’s 2011 article, “Counselors Perceptions of Ethical Behaviors,” from Journal of Counseling & Development, volume 89, issue 2, pages 206–216.
Discussion 1: 1 page needed with 2 references.
Ethical and Unethical Counselor Behavior
The ACA ethical guidelines state that counselors take steps to report the unethical behavior of their colleagues. However, there are a large number of behaviors that some counselors may believe are unethical while others do not.
Neukrug & Milliken (2011) asked counselors to rate 77 behaviors as being ethical or unethical and found that counselors significantly disagreed about 31 of these behaviors. Review the list of these 31 behaviors in Table 3 on page 211 of this article.
1. Select one of the behaviors from this list that you strongly believe is unethical, and present your views about why you believe this behavior is unethical.
2. If you discovered one of your colleagues was engaging in this behavior, how would you deal with the situation? Describe the specific steps you would take, with reference to the ACA ethical guidelines and at least one additional article from a peer-reviewed journal in counseling.
Neukrug, E. S., & Milliken, T. (2011). Counselors’ perceptions of ethical behaviors. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89(2), 206–216.
Discussion 2 1 page needed with 2 references.
What has been important in this course to your own personal identity and future work as a counselor?
1. Provide three specific examples and include a reading or reference to the course text for each one. How will you apply each of these areas in your work with clients during fieldwork and in the future?
2. How will you continue to develop your professional identity as an ethical counselor? Provide specific examples.