The process of deciding what services are needed in a community, and developing a program to meet these needs is complex. In this unit, you will learn about program development, management, assessment, and financing in diverse communities. Clinical mental health counselors require the skills to develop programming that meets the needs of their communities and to collect evidence demonstrating that their interventions are effective in order to be successful in any setting that they choose to practice.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Articulate the methods used to develop and operate effective clinical mental health programs and networks that promote mental health in a multicultural society.
2. Analyze how finance, administration, and accountability influence the access and quality of clinical mental health services.
3. Analyze how diverse communities influence the development and management of clinical mental health programs.
4. Identify gaps in mental health counseling services within a specific community to respond to urgent needs and concerns.
5. Describe appropriate approaches to program development and management, including accountability measures.
6. Identify appropriate outcome measures for gauging the success of a proposed mental health program.
Learning Activities Studies
Use your Orientation to the Counseling Profession text to read the following:
• Chapter 15, “Accountability in Counseling,” pages 452–484.
NOTE: For the writer how to read my text book online
Sign-in to Chegg.com with my email address which is firstname.lastname@example.org
Password will be capital Kilio@2449. Note that only the K is capital and the rest are low key. If you have any problem please give me a call at 972-803-3455 (Home Phone number).Thanks.
Your E-Textbook Information
Thanks for getting your eTextbook from Chegg! You can access your e-textbook by signing in to Chegg.com and visiting your library.
Reading an eTextbook at Chegg has a lot of advantages and here are a few things to help get you started:
• All you need is a web browser and an internet connection to see your eTextbooks. There is no additional software to install.
• You can read books on your desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
• Just like a physical textbook, you can highlight and take notes in your eTextbook.
• You can search, copy, and print eTextbook content.
Be sure to check out our eReader help section for more details. Thanks for ordering from Chegg, and we hope you have a great term!
Discussion 1: 1 page needed with 2 references.
Evidenced-Based Outcome Measures
Consider your response to the Unit 8 discussion, “Consultation Case Study.” The agency director was very pleased with your consultation and has asked that you make a recommendation for an evidence-based outcome measure that could be utilized to evaluate client gains. Utilize your text as well as the scholarly literature to search for mental health outcome measures. Be sure to consider aspects such as cost, administration, and scoring of the data. If you found your measure on the internet, attach a copy of the measure. Then respond to the following:
• What type of research did you use to determine what evidence-based outcome measure to select?
• How will you go about implementing a program evaluation model to determine client gains?
• What will you utilize for a measure, who will do the work, how will you critically evaluate the research, and how will you convey the results?
• How will you ensure that the strategies you have selected for interpreting and reporting the results of your work are ethically and culturally relevant?
• How will you use the data you collect to increase the effectiveness of your efforts?
The response to the unit 8 discussion “Consultation Case Study” below for you in case you need it in answering the above question.
You have been employed by a local agency to work as a consultant to determine if the clients are making gains and are satisfied with their treatment. You visit the agency and meet with the counselors and administrators to discuss potential ways to measure treatment gains as well as client satisfaction. You have been given access to a small group of clients to discuss how they are doing in treatment.
Provide an outline of a consultation proposal that details how you would go about answering the following question: “Are clients here getting better?” Be sure to describe the consultation model you are following, your role as counselor and consultant, and the appropriate setting.
Consultation Case Study
In this case study a consultant at a local agency meets with counselors and administrators to discuss the potential ways of measuring treatment gains and client satisfaction. The consultant deals with a small group of clients to discuss their treatment conduct. In light of the above, this paper outlines a consultation proposal with details of how a consultant would go about answering the following question: “Are clients here getting better?”
To answer the above question, the consultant may use either of the two main categories of types of consultation: system-centered or consultant-centered consultation. For the purpose of this paper, the consultant-focused approach will be adopted. Consultant-centered consultation has three subtypes including expert, trainer/educator, and prescriptive (Erford, 2014). In this case, the prescriptive consultation model (also called doctor-patient model) will be applied to answer the question of whether clients are getting better. Using this model, the consultant is required to gather information, clearly identify the nature of the problem, as well as offer recommendations on how the problem can be resolved (Corey, 2013). To examine whether clients are improving, the consultant would seek to collect information from the viewpoint of different stakeholders. The consultant should develop an interview guide with questions such as: Are clients keeping their scheduled therapy appointm ents? Next, the consultant should examine client records maintained and updated at the agency to collect client information and assess progress. Next, the consultant should conduct a needs assessment both for the clients and the organization. The consultant should then analyze all the information collected and correctly identify the nature of the problem. Here, the role of the consultant is to use the information gathered to diagnose the problem and prescribe what the consultee (the local agency) should do about it.
To say the least, the proposal outlined above can be useful to answer the question raised in respect to the case study.
Corey, G. (2013). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy. Belmont: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning.
Erford, B. (2014). Orientation to the counseling profession: Advocacy, ethics, and essential professional foundations. Upper Saddle River: Pearson.