Personal and Professional Development Action Plan
As you have been discovering throughout your studies, in order to function effectively as a counselor it is essential that you consciously engage in personal and professional development activities. In order for these development activities to enhance your effectiveness as a counselor, it is crucial that you incorporate the practices of critical self-reflection into your regular routine. Counselors, more than most other professionals, must maintain their own personal and professional health and well-being in order to effectively meet the needs of their clients.
This is an academically rigorous course, and it will provide you with many challenging activities designed to help you hone your counseling skills. In order to maximize your experience, you will need to maintain an attitude of self-awareness and practice reflective exercises throughout the course. This course project has a dual purpose: it provides you with structured self-reflection exercises through the maintenance of a required journal and requires you to complete a personal and professional development plan, based on your journal entries and your experiences in the course room and during your residency experience.
Each unit—and at the end of each day of your residency—you will be required to complete a journal entry based on a series of journal prompts provided for you. You will use the journaling tool which will be accessible in each unit, located in a study, specific to this project. This tool will store your journal entries until you have completed the entire journal; at that time you will be able to print your completed journal and submit it to your instructor as part of your final project assignment. This tool has been constructed to assist you in maintaining current journal entries. You will not be able to access a specific unit’s or day’s journal entry until all the prior entries have been completed.
At the end of each unit, or the evening of each day of your residency, you will go to the Journal study activity to access the appropriate journal entry. If you wish, you may work on your journal throughout the week, save a draft of it, and then return to work on your entry throughout the week. Once you click Submit, your entry will be finalized. There will be reflective prompts for you to address, specific to the content you studied or the activities in which you participated.
In addition to submitting your journal to your instructor, you will submit a personal and professional development plan. You will use feedback you received from your peers and instructor and your own personal observations to determine specific actions you will take to ensure your personal and professional development.
Structure your action plan as follows:
• Divide the plan into two sections: Personal Development and Professional Development.
• For each section, describe the activity you have identified and explain why you feel it is a necessary part of your development plan.
• Indicate whether this is an activity that is a one-time event, or if it will be an ongoing practice.
o If it is an ongoing practice, describe how it will be incorporated into your schedule.
• If these activities include external resources, such as classes, conferences, etc., include descriptive information and a timeline for completing the activity.
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to:
1. Identify activities designed to facilitate continued cultural competence.
2. Identify a plan to incorporate self-care techniques for maintaining personal and professional health.
3. Identify requirements and processes for obtaining licensure.
4. Identify professional organizations and activities selected to facilitate progress towards personal and professional development goals.
5. Identify activities designed to maintain knowledge regarding the application of ethical principles in professional interactions.
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements.
• Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
• APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA Style and Formatting.
• Length of paper: 4 typed double-spaced pages.
• Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.