Module 1 and Module 2 Case
The External Environment – Data Gathering
Golden Age Hospital (GAH)
As stated in the course and modular objectives, You are expected to demonstrate critical thinking and a solid analytical and theoretical knowledge of all previous courses in the program.
Furthermore, emphasis should be inputted on applying what you already know to the task of developing an individual project that reflects synthesis, integration and real life application (action plans).
As the environment is of a real life project team, you will be assessed as to how well you present your work to your company and peers (writing and presentations).
Feedback and comments from your instructor and peers should be implemented and early recommendations adjusted accordingly.
1. The Mission Viejo Medical Center (in the city of Mission Viejo, California) is comprised of two institutions, geographically adjacent:
a. Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center, URL: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center, and
b. Children’s Hospital at Mission (CHM), URL: Children’s Hospital at Mission (CHM)
2. The two hospitals serve within less than a 10 mile radius the populations of the following nine municipalities: Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, and San Juan Capistrano.
3. Retirement Communities:
a. The city of Laguna Woods (URL: http://www.lagunawoodscity.org/), is home to â€œLeisure Worldâ€ (http://www.lagunawoodsvillage.com/ ), a retirement community of over 23,000 elderly (55 years and above) residents.
b. The city of Mission Viejo is home to â€œCasta Del Solâ€, a retirement community of over 3,000 elderly (55 years and above) residents.
4. Following the example and success of integrating a special childrenâ€™s hospital, it is suggested for the purpose of CAP599 only, that an additional new hospital be built, catering to the special needs of the elderly population, to be named: â€œGolden Age Hospital (GAH)â€.
5. The â€œCAP599 Consulting Team (CAP599CT)â€ has been tasked to research and develop a project feasibility plan for the future GAH.
1. Note: You do NOT need to be a physician or health care provider to complete this assignment. Address it through management lenses!
2. As independent members of CAP599CT, you will each undertake this task and prepare said plan within the next 10 weeks (the duration of this course), following the modular guidelines and assignments.
3. Each module will focus on different topics, building on your previous studies and based on the background materials of the courses taken in both the MBA and MSHS disciplines.
4. The assignments for each module will be prepared and presented to the CAP599CT management (your course instructor) as follows:
a. Case â€“ developing and writing a segment of the plan.
b. SLP â€“ preparing a board room Power Point Presentation (PPT) based on the case paper.
c. TD â€“ preparing an executive summary based on the case paper, to be posted on the TD platform. Members of the Team (students) will comment on their peersâ€™ postings and be able to share information and data for their own plan (see guidelines in the TD platform).
5. The case assignments are the crux of the coursework, whereas the SLP and TD are its derivatives. Case papers should be at least 3-4 content pages long.
6. You will prepare and submit the sectional/modular case papers for each module ADDING the preceding ones as you go, i.e., in module #2 you will combine and submit case #1 and case #2, and so on.
7. You will make amends to each case paper per the feedback you will get from your instructor.
8. Finally, at the end of the course, you will need to aggregate all chapters into one comprehensive paper, as follows:
a. Title page – to be submitted in module #1
b. Background – to be submitted in module #1
c. The External Environment – Data Gathering â€“ to be submitted in module #1.
d. Market Research and Segmentation â€“ to be submitted in module #2.
e. Organizational Structures and Functions â€“ to be submitted in module #3.
Module 1 â€“ Assignment – The External Environment – Data Gathering
1. Search the web and gather relevant general information regarding hospitals for the elderly and direct data pertaining to the external environment of the proposed GAH.
2. The proposed points below are just â€œstarter pointsâ€, for you to expound upon and add to as you see fit.
3. Common medical conditions of the elderly:
a. Overall health status
b. Unique illnesses
4. Medical institutions for the elderly:
a. Types of institutions and clinics serving the elderly (their size per population served)
b. Types of special services provided for the elderly and catering to their needs.
c. Length-of-stay of the elderly at various hospitals.
5. Locale (Mission Viejo area) City demographics:
a. Can be obtained from but not limited to: URL: http://www.city-data.com/
b. Input the nine municipalities (one by one) in the search box.
c. Scroll through the various data sets, and glean the relevant information: Population, Gender, Age, Household income, Races, Other.