assignment : Gu, Y.G. (1990). Politeness phenomena in Modern Chinese. Journal of Pragmatics, 14
Cover page (available on Blackboard)
1 A full citation of the article being reviewed
E.g. Glinert, L. (2010). Apologizing to China: Elastic apologies and the meta-discourse of
American diplomats. Intercultural Pragmatics, 7 (1), 47-74.
2 Summary of the article
In this section, there should be a summary of the main points and conclusions made in the
article. For example,
– What the research question is (usually stated in the Abstract and Introduction),
– If applicable, briefly describe the methods: design of the study, how many subjects were
involved, what they did, and where the research was conducted … (in the Methods)
– Describe the findings, etc.
3 Critical evaluation of the article
You should include critical comments on the ideas and information that the author(s)
presents in the article, commenting on its strengths, usefulness, weaknesses, limitations,
problems… In particular, ask yourself some of the following questions (you may not be able
to discuss all of them, choose the ones you think are more relevant and important):
– How does the author(s) support their arguments?
– Is the argument convincing? Is the evidence valid, comprehensive and thorough?
– How does the study design address the research questions?
– Is the methodology appropriate? Any weaknesses?
– What questions remain unanswered? Anything omitted?
– Are the findings presented clearly and fully?
– Could the data be interpreted in another way?
– How does the article contribute to the field?
– Make your concluding remarks on the article
– Comment on the implications of the research
Reference List (APA 6 th )
Report an abuse for product Journal