Research Summary instructions
Research Summary Stuff
• Pick one of the assigned articles from any point in
• If you are not happy with any of those articles you
can pick your own article so long as you clear it with
me first (articles (articles should be relatively relatively short and from
journals like Psychonomic Bulletin and Review or
• If you pick your own article you need a really strong
justification as to why (no double dipping with other
courses or research you’ve done)
Research Summary Stuff
• Summary. You should write a summary of your article,
indicating the goal of the research, the design of the
experiments, the principal results, and how these results were interpreted theoretically. This should be not more than two typed, double‐spaced pages. It should be clearly written in
normal prose (i.e., not “point form”).
• Consists of: Introduction (explain study, paradigm, why it’s
used, what it tests and why), methods (describe what was done, # of subjects, etc.), results (what was found, explain this
in laymen’s terms, no need for complicated stats) and brief
discussion (what the results mean, what this suggests about
the big picture)
Intro (explain task, why it’s used, what it tests) / 3;
Methods (describe what was done, # of subjects, etc.) / 2
Results (what was found…use group averages, no stats
required) / 2
Discussion Discussion (what the results results mean, what this suggests suggests about the
big picture) / 3.
None of this should be high pressure
Total / 10
Various anal stuff
• Type font must not be smaller than 12‐pitch elite. Papers in any other format will not be accepted.
• Where references are made to other articles, these should be cited using APA format (see any journal reference section) at the end of the paper. [Note, however, that this paper is meant to be a self‐contained task, and use of reference material is not required.]
• A title page with a brief descriptive title of your own creation should be the first page of your submission.
• Writing style is important. Please write clearly and concisely in the manner of a journal article. This is difficult to do, and you are strongly encouraged to do at least two drafts of the paper, so leaving it until the last minute is a really bad idea. Note that neither the TA nor I have time to read everyone’s early drafts so please do not ask us to. If there are a few lines or a paragraph you’d like to send me though you can feel free to do that (or if you want to pitch your extension idea to see if it’s feasible). Please be aware that plagiarism (representing the work of someone else as your own, whether their ideas or their words) will result in a mark of zero on this assignment.
• Penalty for lateness: 5% per day including weekends
Most important thing
• Do not stress over this, it will be marked easily
• The point is more to give you some experience
on these types of assignments which you’ll
have to do a lot more of in the years to come