Assignment 2: Review of a method or approach to research and critique of an individual study 2000 words (35%)
- Review the principles and processes of a particular approach or method of carrying out research. Highlight the strengths and limitations of the particular approach.
- Select a study in the area of in the area of language studies which draws on this approach (an empirical study published in a refereed journal). Summarise the study as follows:
- Background/context of the study
- Procedure/s used in the study
- Type/s of data used in the study
- Research instrument/s used in the study
- Type of analysis carried out
- Findings and conclusions of the study
- Critique the study by referring to your reading on the particular approach you examine. How does this study follow the typical research approach discussed?
- You must attach a copy of the study you are critiquing when you submit your assignment.
Use these headings for your assignment:
- Approach to research (e.g. case studies, classroom based research etc.)
- Key characteristics of the approach
- Strengths and limitations of the approach
- A study which draws on this approach
Background/context of the study
Procedure/s used in the study
Type/s of data used in the study
Research instrument/s used in the study
Type of analysis carried out
Findings and conclusions of the study
- Critique of the study as an example of this approach
- The assignment covers the assigned tasks.
- The assignment reflects understanding of the subject matter, depth of treatment of the subject matter, range and depth of reading and research, presentation of the assignment and accuracy of references and bibliography
- It reflects an awareness of the issues in language learning research.
- It reflects superior analysis (clarity, accuracy, originality), comprehensive research, sophisticated theoretical or methodological understanding, impeccable presentation, evidence of original/critical thinking and analysis.
- Use Times New Roman Font 12 pt, 1.5 spacing, and APA referencing for your assignment
- Provide an electronic word count for this assignment. Word count does not include references and appendixes.
- Submit your assignment in hard copy in the assignment box on the fourth floor, and through Turnitin in in Word format through the eLearning site for this unit.
- Attach a cover sheet (the cover sheet is in Canvas)
- If an extension is required, this must be applied for BEFORE the due date of the assignment. If assignments are late without an extension, 5% of the mark will be deducted for each day that the assignment is late.