Ethics in Research and Publication
Counselors may want to explore the effectiveness of the approaches they are using or the outcome of a program they have developed; they might also want to write an article or make a presentation about the work they are doing. This unit reviews the ethical and legal issues that may emerge when counselors are engaged in research and publication. Chapter 15 of the course text addresses the role of the researcher, diversity issues to consider when designing research, protection of participants, and accurate reporting of results.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Identify ethical guidelines for conducting an evaluation of counseling services in a specific setting.
2. Analyze the effectiveness of current decision-making models to determine the appropriate methods necessary to resolve legal and ethical issues when working with students or clients from diverse backgrounds.
3. Apply ethical decision-making models to resolve specific legal and ethical issues found within diverse counseling settings.
4. Analyze ethical guidelines specific to demonstrating developmental and cultural sensitivity when working with students or clients of diverse ages and backgrounds.
5. Evaluate the impact of a counselor’s personal values on the ability to resolve legal and ethical dilemmas within the counseling profession.
6. Develop strategies to address the influence a counselor’s personal values have on ethical decision making.
7. Communicate effectively through the consistent use of APA guidelines for grammar, punctuation, and mechanics expected of a counseling professional.
Learning Activities Studies
Use your Ethical, Legal, and Professional Issues in Counseling text to complete the following:
• Read Chapter 15, “Professional Writing, Conducting Research, and Publishing,” pages 361–372.
Use the Library to read the following:
• Guiffrida et al.’s 2011 article, “Publishing Action Research in Counseling Journals,” from Journal of Counseling & Development, volume 89, issue 3, pages 282–287.
Unit 9 Discussion 1: 1 page needed with 2 references
Effective Counseling Services
It is important that the approaches used by counselors and the counseling programs implemented in schools and agencies are effective for the clients and students who will be receiving these services. Consider one of the following questions that a counselor working in a school or agency may want to explore:
1. Does completion of eight group counseling sessions help to decrease levels of social anxiety (or other symptoms or issues)?
2. How do students/clients describe the experience of the counseling they have received and the impact it has had on them?
3. What is the effect of short-term counseling (6–8 sessions) for couples who report significant levels of relationship discord?
4. What is the effect of counseling for adolescents who report serious issues with substance abuse?
5. What impact does attendance at a two-hour information workshop have on clients who are engaged in career counseling?
Select one of these questions and respond to the following:
1. If you were granted permission to do this study at your school or agency, what steps would you take to locate participants? What legal or ethical issues would you consider as you selected participants?
2. How would you address issues of informed consent and confidentiality for participants in the study? Cite specific areas of the ACA Code of Ethics and other ethical guidelines to support your decisions.