Education-Prevention- and Intervention
Clinical mental health counselors consider the whole person—including mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, and environmental
factors—in an approach that enhances wellness, and optimizes growth and development. In this unit, you will learn about this holistic
approach as well as models of wellness and prevention, and the promotion of education.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Explore methods used for prevention and education in the clinical mental health profession.
2. Describe how clinical mental health counselors promote wellness and resilience in their work with clients and communities.
3. Propose appropriate methods for developing prevention and education activities to a target population.
4. Identify self-care strategies appropriate to the counselor’s role.
5. Describe counselor’s role in developing cultural self-awareness; promoting cultural social justice, advocacy, and conflict resolution; and other culturally supported behaviors that promote optimal wellness and growth of the human spirit, mind, or body.
Learning Activities Studies
Use your Orientation to the Counseling Profession text to read the following:
• Chapter 4, “Theories of Counseling,” pages 114–159.
• Chapter 7, “Human Development Throughout the Lifespan,” pages 215–239.
Use the Library to read the following:
• Reese and Myers’s 2012 article, “EcoWellness: The Missing Factor in Holistic Wellness Models,” from the Journal of Counseling & Development, volume 90, issue 4, pages 400–406.
• Herrman et al.’s 2011 article, “What Is Resilience?,” in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, volume 56, issue 5, pages 258–265.
Discussion 1: 1 page needed with 2 references.
Wellness and Resilience
After completing your assigned readings on wellness and resilience, create a brief case scenario regarding the application of the wellness model to a targeted group of clients within a community. Once you have described your scenario and population, address the following:
• Describe the counselor’s role in promoting optimal human development, wellness, and mental health through prevention and educational activities.
• Discuss the importance of the counselor’s role in developing cultural self-awareness; promoting cultural social justice, advocacy, and conflict resolution; as well as other culturally supported behaviors, in order to promote optimal wellness and growth of the human spirit.
• Incorporate theories and models of individual, cultural, couples, family, and community resilience as well as theories for facilitating optimal development and wellness over the life span into your post.