Contemporary Asia | Chinese Economy
The theme for your project is ‘Contemporary Asia’.
You need to write an essay of maximum 1,500 words, excluding references and
appendices, on one particular current issue in a country in Asia. For the issue, you can
choose from one of the topics in this unit or you can choose an entirely different topic.
For the country, you can choose any of North, East, South and Southeast Asian countries.
Your essay should include the following points:
1. Background to the issue as occuring in that particular country.2. The evolution of the
issue in that country.3. What is interesting about the issue (as occuring in that country).4.
If possible, provide your informed prediction of how this issue will evolve further in that
Please submit your journal in Microsoft Word format only.Please do not by shy from
using figures, statistics and other supporting materials to strengthen your essay. Marking
Rubric – Project (40 points)
Content and Argument: 20 points
1. Does the essay demonstrate a depth of analysis of a relevant issue?
2. Are the arguments in the essay coherent, stimulating, insightful and well-structured?
3. Does the essay show a critical and independent thinking?
4. Does the essay show a good quality of (second-hand) research?
Research and Sources: 10 points
1. The quality of sources you use to corroborate your arguments.
2. The relevance of the sources you use.
3. Overall research effort you put into your essay.
4. Are sources appropriately acknowledged?
Expression/Style: 10 points
1. The use of adequate and appropriate English style, tone, grammar and punctuation.
2. The clarity of expression in your essay.
Report an abuse for product Contemporary Asia | Chinese Economy
Asia has a great treasure in her history, which ran as early as one and a half millions years ago. Asia’s economy comprises of more than four and a half billion people, which is sixty percent of the world’s population. Asia is considered to have the largest economy and also the fastest growing economic region. India and China are regarded as having the largest economies in the world. The region is also the site for the longest recent economic booms, like the economic boom in China, Japanese economic miracle, and the miracle of the Han River in South Korea. China is one of the largest countries by GDP in the region and has contributed significantly to the growth of the region. Over the past fifty years, the Chinese economy has undergone a great shift which has seen China become the second largest economy in the world (Dillon, 2008). Opening up of the Chinese economy to the global markets is said to have caused the impact. Different scholars have studied the background, growth and attempted to project the future of the Chinese economy(Wang, 2012).