Case portfolio (worth 40%)
This task builds on your learning from and contribution to the in-class case discussions. You need to base your portfolio on two of the cases that
were facilitated by other students in the class. The assessment involves three tasks:
1. Provide case/industry updates (outline 10 sustainable industry news items – 5 for each case; 100 words each);
2. Discuss additional sustainable marketing strategy examples (6 examples – 3 for each case); 100 words each).
3. Learning summary (200 words)
Case 3 – Hotel Industry
There five issues facing the hotel industry including:
- Indoor air quality – Most hotels are faced with the challenge of ensuring indoor air quality. Recently Marriot, Westin, and others recorded a 100% transition non-smoking environments.
- Water usage – Many resorts and hotels face water management issues from guest showers and huge pools. Ensuring that this water is recycled or cleaned before releasing is a major challenge.
- Energy consumption – Hotels are energy intensive and energy conservation is a major challenge. Most hotels have set energy consumption targets but are hard to achieve
- Pollution – The industry has high output of oil, natural gas, gasoline, coal, and others which produce energy for transportation.
- Garbage/waste – Some items used in industry are hot recyclable and create trash that clog environment.
Case 2 – Handloom industry
These are five sustainability news items facing the industry:
- Water conservation – At the production stage, water is required for irrigation and water conservation is a major challenge.
- Ethical supply chain – Material should be source from ethical supply chain that does not use child labour.
- Labour practices – The industry faces issue of underpayment, use of child labour, overworking, and others
- Waste management – The cut pieces and the used apparels raises issue of waste management concerning their disposal.Case 3 – Hotel Industry
- Use sustainable marketing strategies like online marketing instead of paper-based marketing. Paper-based adverts like pamphlets lead to environmental degradation because they require cutting down trees to make paper.