Basic Assessment Principles and Diagnosis
An in-depth understanding of test construction methods and terms is essential for the professional development and administering of psychological assessment or tests. Your text provides a detailed overview of key concepts that you need to grasp in order to evaluate assessment instruments. While many counselors see themselves as consumers of research information regarding assessments rather than assessment developers, it is still necessary to master basic test construction concepts to avoid making errors in test selection and interpretation. Because assessments are often used to assist counselors in the process of diagnosis or problem identification, it is critical to understand the roles and limitations of assessment procedures used for this purpose. The current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual published by the American Psychiatric Association (2013) is part of the process for those in the mental health field.
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Analyze the appropriate use of a norm-referenced assessment.
2. Analyze the theoretical basis for the choice of specific assessment tools in a counseling setting.
3. Evaluate ethical issues associated with the administration of assessments.
4. Apply assessment concepts for ethnic and culturally diverse populations.
Unit 3 Study 1: Basic Principles of Assessment
Use Principles and Applications of Assessment in Counseling to complete the following:
• Read Chapter 2, “Basic Assessment Principles,” pages 18–36.
Use the Library and the Internet to complete the following:
• Read the Standard Error of Measurement guide.
• Examine reviews available for the Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory (SASSI-3) in The Fifteenth Mental Measurements Yearbook in preparation for this unit’s discussion.
In preparation for this unit’s discussion, locate one scholarly peer-reviewed article from the Capella Library related to the appropriateness of SASSI-3 with young adult clients presenting problem drinking on a college campus.
Discussion 1: 1 page needed with minimum of 250 words and 2 references.
An important aspect of using a norm-referenced assessment is the degree to which the norming group is representative of the target population to be assessed. Analyze available reviews for the Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory (SASSI-3) in the Mental Measurements Yearbook. Evaluate the appropriateness of using SASSI-3 with young adult clients presenting problem drinking on a college campus. Incorporate one scholarly peer-reviewed article from the Library to support your evaluation.