Analyze two events within the timeline provided regarding counseling history that interest you and how these events focused on wellness, resiliency, or prevention – three types of mental health professionals who may be involved in assisting a student, family, or individual client.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Analyze the roles of counselors within the multiple fields and specializations of counseling.
2. Identify strategies for collaboration and communication with agencies and organizations, both internally and externally.
3. Develop strategies for collaboration and communication among counselors.
4. Articulate the characteristics of an effective professional counselor for at least two different professional roles.
Use the library to read the following:
• Moe, Perera-Diltz, and Sepulveda’s 2010 article, “Are Consultation and Social Justice Advocacy Similar?: Exploring the Perceptions of Professional Counselors and Counseling Students,” from Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, volume 2, issue 2, pages 106–123.
• Toporek’s 2005 article, “An Integrative Approach for Competence: Career Counseling, Social Justice Advocacy and the Multi-Cultural Counseling Competencies,” from Career Planning and Adult Development Journal, volume 21, issue 4, pages 34–50.
• Mills & Sprenkle’s 1995 article, “Family therapy in the postmodern era,” from Family Relations, volume 44, issue 4, pages 368-376.
Assignment-1: 1 page is needed and 3 references.
Just to let you know that my field of study is Addiction Counseling.
Mental health professionals from different specializations frequently need to work together in order to provide effective services to students, families, and individual clients. Select one of the scenarios below and prepare a post (250–300 words) that addresses the following:
• Identify three types of mental health professionals who may be involved in assisting a student, family, or individual client.
o Describe the role and function of each of the professionals.
o Identify the characteristics that make each role unique and make them effective counselors.
• Explain how you would ensure good collaboration and communication between the team members both inside the agency and with other agencies or organizations, if you were leading the team to help this student, family, or individual client. Provide specific examples or strategies you would use to illustrate your ideas.
Include references to the professional literature to support your work.
Ashley, a 12-year old girl, admits to one of her teachers that she feels very depressed. Her mother has recently re-married and the girl is having difficulty adjusting to life with her stepfather and his two children. She is not able to concentrate in class or do her homework. Ashley also reveals that she has been cutting on herself.
Paul, a 32-year old man, seeks counseling at a community mental health center. He has recently returned from his third deployment to a combat zone. He reports drinking frequently and feeling anxious. For the past three weeks, Paul has been extremely worried that his neighbors are spying on him. Paul’s wife has tried to reassure him that he is imagining things, but he cannot get these concerns out of his mind. Paul feels reluctant to leave the house and has missed over a week of work.
Assignment-2: 1page needed and 3 references.
Use the Internet to read “A History of Counseling Timeline” from the American Counseling Association Web site. This timeline provides information regarding historical context related to the counseling profession. You will use the timeline to complete the second discussion (graded) in this unit.
In u02s1 (the study activities), the history of counseling timeline is no longer available. No worries! One or more of the following articles can be used to address u02d2.
Page, R. C., & Bailey, J. B. (1995). Addictions Counseling Certification: An Emerging Counseling Specialty. Journal of Counseling & Development, 74(2), 167-171.
Engels, D. W., Minor, C. W., Sampson Jr., J. P., & Splete, H. H. (1995). Career Counseling Specialty: History, Development, and Prospect. Journal of Counseling & Development, 74(2), 134-138.
Smith, R. L., Carlson, J., Stevens-Smith, P., & Dennison, M. (1995). Marriage and Family Counseling. Journal of Counseling & Development, 74(2), 154-157.
Smith, H. B., & Robinson, G. P. (1995). Mental Health Counseling: Past, Present, and Future. Journal of Counseling & Development, 74(2), 158-162.
Paisley, P. O., & Borders, L. (1995). School Counseling: An Evolving Specialty. Journal of Counseling & Development, 74(2), 150-153.
Assignment-2 Description: 1page needed and 3 references.
For this discussion, you are to use the information found in “A History of Counseling Timeline” and during your Internet research on professional counseling associations. Prepare a post (250–300 words) that delves into the history of counseling and professional associations.
History of Counseling
• Analyze two events within the timeline provided regarding counseling history that interest you and how these events focused on wellness, resiliency, or prevention.
• Identify key philosophies that have emerged through history related to the counseling profession.
• List the professional associations you explored. From your exploration, select one association that can serve as a resource for further development and specialization in your field of study. My field of study is Addiction Counseling.
• Analyze the historical and philosophical relevance of this specialized area to the practice of counseling.