APA Term Paper Directions for PSYC 4450
1. Your paper must be in APA style (6th edition). I will immediately deduct 50 points for non-APA style papers, before I even start grading them for content. The link below will allow you to complete a tutorial that provides an overview of the APA style.
This link provides a general overview of the APA style:
Take this quiz before you submit paper. Your score on this will determine whether you have a good grasp of the APA style.
2. This is a literature review paper. This means you will need journal articles to write this paper. You cannot just rely on your textbook. You should be able to find all of your resources through the NSU library (which you can access through the Internet).
3. The focus of this paper is on researching a specific mental disorder in the DSM-5. The paper should include the following:
a. Identify the disorder you selected from the DSM-5 and describe it in detail. This should include a description of the diagnostic criteria as set forth in the DSM-5 (do not just copy and paste the criteria, this needs to be presented in your own words), typical course of the disorder, prevalence rates, and differential diagnosis. I recommend you pick a disorder that you are interested in learning more about.
b. Discuss the treatment that is recommended for the disorder. This should include a detailed description of empirically supported psychotherapy treatments and psychotropic medication. You need to describe the treatment in detail and discuss studies that provide evidence the treatment is effective with those who have the disorder.
4. A minimum of 5 references (no textbooks or encyclopedias – INCLUDING Wikipedia, and only 1 Internet source) are required. That is a minimum number and if you choose to go with the minimum – your grade will be minimum. These references should be from peer-reviewed articles in reputable psychological journals. Journal articles can be found at the NSU library, and you can access these articles via the internet.
5. The body of the paper is a minimum of 6 pages – NOT counting title page, abstract (if you include one), reference page(s), and any pages for illustrations or graphs. So this means a minimum of 6 double-spaced pages in the body of the work.
6. Mechanics (spelling, grammar, punctuation) count. I will count off for mechanical errors, so have someone you trust proofread it.
7. This is due on Saturday, October 28, 2017 at midnight. This deadline is carved in stone. I do not accept late papers – regardless of the reason. Early submissions are not only OK, they are encouraged.
8. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. You will receive an automatic 0 for the paper and an F in the course if you plagiarize. If you need more information about what constitutes plagiarism, read your student handbook or post questions on the discussion board. This also means you cannot submit a paper you completed and submitted for another course. The paper you write for this course must be unique to this course. You will receive a 0 if you submit a paper that was submitted to another course at NSU or any other university.
SUBMITTING YOUR TERM PAPER: Submit your paper in the Turn It In program (this will compare your paper to online sources, prior term paper submissions from students from various colleges in the U.S., as well as published articles, to determine whether your paper was plagiarized), which is located in Moodle. You will see a percentage depicting how similar your paper is to other sources. If your percentage is high (in orange or red), you should review your paper to ensure you have not plagiarized. You can make corrections and resubmit your paper until the deadline has been reached.