ADVANCED NURSING PRACTICE
Competency 7004.1.1: Nursing and Interprofessional Standards – The graduate adapts an organizational change or innovation to improve quality care outcomes while meeting the master’s level nursing and interprofessional standards.
Competency 7004.1.2: Evaluating and Documenting Innovations – The graduate evaluates an organizational change or innovation as measured against the master’s level nursing and interprofessional standards.
Years ago, the role of the nurse was limited and easily described. In today’s world, the nurse’s role is complex and occurs in diverse settings with a broad client population. Often, nurses must combine several professional roles to manage the full range of their responsibilities. Nurses also manage roles that have limited domains of actual authority but large domains of influence (and vice versa). Master’s level nurses are now required to be leaders: whether formally or informally.
For this task, you will select a healthcare organization in your area to analyze and then prepare a consultative change recommendation paper. As part of your analysis, you will interview a nurse leader in the selected organization. Your consultative change recommendation paper should be 7–10 pages and in APA style. Although you are only submitting this paper to WGU as part of your requirement for this course, you should prepare this document as though you would present it to the executive board of the organization you analyzed.
In order to complete this assessment, you must carefully review and closely follow the attached “WQT2 Performance Assessment Guidelines” document.
You are a nursing consultant who has been assigned to analyze a healthcare organization in order to identify a change or improvement needed by the organization. In your analysis, you will use external measures such as HCAHPS scores, patient metrics, community needs, and comparisons to other facilities in area. After your analysis, you will write a consultative change recommendation to present to the executive board of the organization.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
Professional Communications is a required aspect to pass this task. Completion of a spell check and grammar check prior to submitting your final work is strongly recommended.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
- Write a consultative change recommendation paper (suggested length of 7–10 pages) by doing the following:
- Identify the purpose of the consultation and provide a summary of the consultation process.
- Describe the organization.
- Explain the primary needs of the population served by this organization.
- Describe the nurse leader’s role.
- Identify the characteristics of the organization.
- Recommend an organizational change based on your analysis.
- Justify how your recommended change addresses the organization’s weaknesses and the community’s needs.
- Identify a national benchmark of performance and describe a plan to measure the effectiveness of your recommended change.
- Attach the completed “Nurse Leader Interview Verification Form.”
- Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarize