The purpose of a position paper is to generate support on an issue. It describes a position on an
issue and the rational for that position. The position paper is based on facts that provide a solid
foundation for your argument. In the position paper you should:
? • Use theoretical evidence or real-life ethics case studies to support your position
? • Validate your position with authoritative references or primary source quotations.
? • Examine the strengths and weaknesses of your position.
? • Evaluate possible solutions and suggest courses of action.
Read the article authored by Carl Coleman, Marie-Charlotte Bouësseaub & Andreas Reisb, titled; “The contribution of ethics to public health” [Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2008; 86: 578-9].Using real life cases in UAE or internationally, discuss how you would apply ethical principles to resolve issues related to the following themes:
• Disparities in health status, access to health care and to the benefits of medical research (7 marks)
• Responding to the threat of infectious diseases (6marks)
• International cooperation in health monitoring and surveillance (6 marks)
• Exploitation of individuals in low- income countries (7 marks)
• Health Promotion (7 marks)
• Participation, transparency, and accountability (7 marks)
Support your perspectives with referenced documents and application of ethical theories.